Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Plan

I've recently gotten back in to lifting regularly, and have been keeping track of my sessions on my Google calendar. I figured that using a blog to keep track of the sessions would:

a) Give me an easier way to quickly view my recent training history.
b) Get me back in the habit of writing non-work stuff fairly regularly, even if it's just what I did at the gym today.

So I'm doing it. Starting yesterday, I'm using a new program based on the Beginner's Strength Training Program II that Mehdi posted over at StrongLifts. Basically I'm bastardizing his program by going against his advice and taking out the rest day between the two workouts. I plan to lift Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and rest on the weekends.

Here are the two workouts, slightly modified from Mehdi's plan:

A
Squat - 5x5
Bench - 5x5
Deadlift - 3x5
Pullups - 5 sets

B
Front Squat - 5x5
Standing Military Press - 5x5
Bent Over Barbell Row - 5x5
Dips - 5 sets

One week, I'll do A on Monday and Thursday and B on Tuesday and Friday. The next week, I'll do A on Tuesday and Friday and B on Monday and Thursday. Some weeks I may have to miss a day or move the workouts around a bit due to scheduling concerns. I'll be doing this program for at least 5 weeks. I'll take a bit of a break during week 6 because I'll be traveling from Thursday to Monday. I'll lift light at the beginning of that week, then take a few days off to assess how the program is going and make adjustments accordingly.

So that's the plan. Here goes!

No comments: