Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Training 9-25-07

Received a heavy dose of irony via mail today, in the form of a book entitled "Real Men Don't Say Splendid: A Lexicon of Unmanliness." It's ironic because "unmanly" accurately describes my recent actions towards the sender. I'm not proud of the way I behaved towards this person, but I'm learning from it and I won't do it again in the future.

Also, I say a lot of the words listed in the book. Wanna fight about it?

B

Front Squat
5 x 5 x 170

Military Press
5 x 5 x 130

Bent Over Barbell Row
5 x 5 x 135

Dips
4 x 7 x 30
10 x 30

Back Extensions
15, 15, 15
(in each set: 5 straight up, 10 twisting)

Front Squat felt good, even though my right knee was a little tender from squats yesterday. I'm getting nice and low, and I pushed pretty evenly this time (last time I tended to lean right). I think I should move up to 175 next time.

Military Press was also good. I got a full 5 sets of 5 after only getting 5, 5, 5, 4, 3 last time. 135 next time for me!

I'm starting to get a feel for the Barbell Rows, as well. I'm using a narrowish grip (index fingers basically right on the edge of the knurling), focusing on pulling explosively from the bottom of the movement and really bringing the bar up hard to my upper abs before pausing for a second at the top. 135 again next time focusing on form, and then I'll start slowly moving up.

The 30 lb dumbbell was too heavy to hold between my feet on Dips -- it kept on almost sliding out from between my toes. I had Token Asian Roommate put the dumbbell between my ankles on the last 2 sets, and it was much more stable. Next time I'll try 40 lbs for sets of 7.

The Back Extensions produced a nice warm, tight feeling in the muscles of my lower back, and the twists hit the obliques and abs, as well. Good thing tomorrow's an off day -- I'm going to need some rest for my back before doing Squats and Deadlifts again.

No comments: