Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Training 9-18-07

Got to the gym later than usual due to dinner with a friend. If you were in a sushi restaurant this evening and your dinner was constanty interrupted by two young people laughing uproariously at nerdy and/or inappropriate jokes, I apologize.

A

Squat
5 x 5 x 205

Bench
5 x 5 x 225

Deadlift
5 x 205
5 x 215
5 x 225

Pullups
7 x 15
5 x 15
3 x 4 x 15

Bicycle Crunches
10, 7, 5, 5

Today's squat session was a reminder that it's easier to talk about intensity than it is to actually bring full intensity to each set. My first two sets were weak -- I was surprised by how heavy the weight felt and lost that "killer instinct." I managed to ratchet up the intensity on sets 3-5, and they were much better. Making a conscious effort to involve the glutes really helps. They're the biggest muscles in the body -- use them accordingly!

Bench was better than last week. Achieved a full 5 sets of 5, and just barely got through the sticking point on the last rep of the last set. I can do 225 again next time, as long as I remember to really squeeze the bar and brace the abs. Once I've done 2 workouts with 5 x 5 x 225 in a row, I should move up to 230.

Deadlift was good. At 225 I finally felt like I was moving some weight, and had to focus on bracing my lower back and pushing the hips forward. I think now I should hit 225 for 3 sets next time, and then move up on a workout-by-workout basis from there.

Added some weight to the pullups by holding a 15 pound dumbbell between my feet. Not the most glamorous solution ever, but it does the job. I'll do 15 lbs again next time and focus on going for 5 sets of 5.

No comments: