Monday, September 17, 2007

Training 9-17-07

B

Front Squat
5 x 5 x 170

Military Press
5 x 5 x 125

Bent Over Barbell Row
3 x 5 x 145
2 x 5 x 135

Dips
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Rotary Torso machine
3 x 10 x 100

On the last 2 sets of Front Squat, I had to pay attention to keep my hips from moving up faster than my shoulders (spinal compression/curving). Looks like 170 again next time. As I get more reps in on front squat and deadlift, my back should get stronger and form should improve.

Military press felt good again. I find it's easier to focus and push as hard as I can on military than on today's other movements. Maybe it's because it's the only one of these exercises I've been doing on a fairly regular basis ever since I started lifting in high school. I'll be moving up to 130 next time, though it'll be tough.

On the other hand, I lacked intensity on Bent Over Barbell Row. I did end up moving down in weight on the last 2 sets so I could clean up my form. I need to keep the weight where it is (135) and focus on form and intensity for the next few workouts.

Dips were standard fare. I think I'm going to experiment with holding a dumbbell between my feet or knees for pullups and dips going forward. I know I need to add weight to advance on those two.

And yes, I used the rotary machine only days after writing a rant against machines. My only excuse is that my goal for the ab/core exercises at the end of my workout is to go as long as humanly possible before repeating an exercise. My goal on these isn't to gain strength, but just to get those muscles moving, activated, and ready to stablize me as I add weight to other exercises.

No comments: