Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lapalicious!

I went by my new and improved gym this evening to swim some laps. I haven't swum (swimmed? swam?) on a regular basis since my freshman year of college, and I'm really looking forward to the chance to swim at least once or twice a week. In my opinion, it's the best "cardio" option out there.

But it's HARD! I'm not in as good shape as I was back in high school when I was swimming 20 laps a day. I barely made it to 8 laps. (to clarify my terminology: 1 lap = there and back, or 2 lengths)

I was aiming to do 1 lap each of breaststroke, sidestroke and crawl for 3 rounds. I got 2 full rounds, then had to stop about 3/4 of the way through my last length of crawl. My arms just couldn't pull any more. I'm a bit disappointed, but I have a starting point: next time, I'll aim for the full 3 rounds!

For a former lifeguard and swim instructor, it's humbling to realize how far I've fallen from my aquatic glory days...

No comments: