Saturday, January 5, 2008

Training 1-5-08

I'm a bad little Strength Training gnome. I didn't get to the gym today. I have excuses ready -- we always do when we miss a workout -- but I know they're just excuses. In reality, I could have made time to lift.

I'll be incredibly busy over the next 8 days. I'll easily average 12+ hours a day at work (including weekends), I have to move into a new house and I have about 9 hours' worth of extracurricular work that I want to get done by Monday. Excuses will abound. But I NEED to get into the gym and lift at least twice during that time. No excuses -- make it happen!

That being said, I did actually get in a bit of a workout today. The gym was closed by the time I got around to it, but I whipped out my trusty dumbbells and got to work:

One-arm dumbbell snatch
10 x 10 x 30 per side

If you don't know what a dumbbell snatch is, you can view a video here. The woman in the video starts each rep from a hang. I like to go lower and touch the dumbbell to the floor on every rep.

I did 10 reps with one arm, then immediately did 10 with the other, and that was one set. I took just enough rest to catch my breath between sets. It was a good, quick workout that should help build shoulder and abdominal strength to help my Presses and Squats.

No comments: