Thursday, November 1, 2007

Training 11-1-07

I've been doing some thinking about updating or changing my program. It feels like I haven't made much progress on any lift except for those that are new to me (Deadlifts, weighted Pullups and Dips). I'll go back and look at the numbers, then figure out what to do.

(Crossfit Warmup beforehand! Woot!)

A

Squats (deload)
5 x 5 x 195

Bench Press
5 x 225
2 x 4 x 225
2 x 3 x 225

Deadlift
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
2 x 5 x 275

Pullups (underhand)
5 x 40
2 x 4 x 40
2 x 3 x 40

I'm re-figuring out form on Squats. I think I'm going to go back to high bar. I just can't get a stable, comfortable position with a low bar. The main thing, as Token Asian Roommate pointed out, is to keep my palms on TOP of the bar and my wrists flat, and create a solid platform for the bar on my shoulders. I did that on my last two sets, and it felt much better.

On the first two sets of Bench Press, I tried to keep my head off of the bench as advised in Starting Strength. It made me feel much less stable, and those sets were, honestly, crap. I abandoned the head thing and just focused on staying tight and pushing hard, and the last three sets felt much better.

This was the sub-max day for Deadlift. Next time I'll go back up to 325 and shoot for 4 reps there.

Pullups were hurried because the gym was about to close and, on top of the short rest, I was probably already a bit fatigued from teh pullups in the warmup. 40 lbs overhand next time, shooting for at least as many reps as today.

No comments: