Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Training 10-16-07

Life is complicated, even when it's going well. Lifting is simple. When I screw up (like I did today on Front Squats), I can usually find a factor that caused the failure, make a note of it, and try to fix it next time. As long as I do that and work as hard as I can on every workout, I'll succeed in the gym. Life ain't like that. The point about working hard for success is still applicable, but pinpointing weak spots or finding solutions to problems is much, much more complicated. But I'm working on it!

B

Front Squat
3 x 5 x 195
3 x 195
5 x 185

Overhead Press
5 x 5 x 115

Bent Over Barbell Row
5 x 5 x 155

Dips
5 x 5 x 60

Treadmill Jogging
20 minutes (2.1 miles)

Glutes glutes glutes! I missed after the 3rd rep of the 4th set on Front Squat, and it was because I wasn't focusing on form and on squeezing the glutes. Fix that next time!

I focused on not hyperextending my back on Overhead Press (again with the glute squeezing!). It felt good, but I'm still not 100% on the form. I'm only going to move up 5 lbs so I can keep from re-injuring my back. 120 lbs next time.

Form was ok on Bent Over Barbell Row, but not perfect. It actually got better in the later sets, as I got back into the groove and could really feel the pull originating in the shoulder blades. I think I'll move it up to 160 next time.

I really need a dip belt. I could barely hold on to the 60 lb dumbbell between my feet. But the dips themselves were good, so I'm up to 65 lbs next time, provided the feet can hold it.

I've decided to do some light cardio/jogging 2-3 times a week. I'll aim for once on the weekend and once or twice after my workouts, in place of the ab work.

No comments: