Thursday, October 4, 2007

Training 10-4-07

I ordered some protein powder last week and received it in today's mail. The brand is supposed to be good, and it should help me in my effort to up my daily protien intake to at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. We'll see if it helps with results going forward.

Also, I've decided that next week will be a light week. With my back still hurting, my knees being a little sore (my shin bones are too short, so the tendons in my knees get tender very easily) and stalling on bench press, it makes sense to take a light week and rest up before pushing forward. So next week I'll half the weight and double the reps, and I might even throw some crazy weird exercises in there if I'm in the mood.

B

Front Squat
5 x 5 x 195

Overhead Press
5 x 7 x 95

Bent Over Barbell Row
5 x 5 x 155

Dips
4 x 5 x 55
7 x 55

Decline bench medicine ball sit ups
4 x 15 x 12
40 x 12

Front Squat was a good challenge. I tended to lean forward and cheat a bit on the 4th rep of my last 2 sets, but then I'd take a few seconds before my 5th rep and it would be solid. I'm starting to really like Squats and Front Squats -- they're hard, but I feel like I've accomplished something at the end of the exercise.

Overhead Press was light again since the back is still a bit stiff. I finally figured out the form a bit better. If I flex my glutes, that keeps my hips pointed forward and up. I then lean back a bit on my heels, keep my back straight in line with my hips and push straight up from my shoulders. That lets me push hard and keeps my back from hurting.

I know my form on Bent Over Barbell Row, but it tends to deteriorate over the last 2 reps of any given set. I need to keep my focus on the form. Shoulderblades, people, shoulderblades.

Weighted Dips make Lucas happy. I kicked butt on 55 lbs and should move up to 60 after the light week. Seriously, if you're strong enough to start adding weight to your dips or pullups, do it. Not only does it make the exercise better, but it also makes you feel like a complete badass.

No comments: